We Built a Guitar-Drop!

GuitarDropWMRW5We got it into our heads to build a Teardrop type trailer. So we contacted a local company to order the basic parts. But once Nowell started putting the "Teardrop" shaped sides up he got the idea to make it a guitar shape. He is really not shy about taking on things he's never done before; his skill as a Luthier is extraordinary….If I do say so myself!

He managed to put it together enough for a festival we attended in just a few months. The aluminum roof wasn't even on then and if it rained, it wouldn’t’ve been pretty. Our CRV (4-banger) handled it perfectly and it got a few road miles. Over the 2014/2015 Winter we set about finishing and designing the Guitar-Drop.

We have a guitar Nowell made called the "Circle of Life” and decided to use it as a template for the overall look of the “Guitar-Drop”. How big to make the parts in relation to the trailer was an ongoing conversation. We also were trying to use the same materials as you would on a guitar such as mother of peal, abalone, frets, herringbone trim, a real wood bridge and fingerboard. Mostly we adhered to it.
The essentials were done first though …i.e. roof, making it water tight and finishing the kitchen. I have a great desire for quarter-sawn oak and so Nowell found some "high flake" veneer for the sides (top/face) of the trailer, both sides of the trailer were to be the same. He made a decision to make the herringbone trim himself and then inlay it; that was a monster job! We worked together in deciding the fret-board inlays; I drew it and he cut it (2 Seagulls) and discussed the wood choice for the bridge. We wanted it to be pretty but not too pricey; a nice mahogany was found. My hubby is a big fan of "curly" maple and it made its appearance in the bridge pins and saddle. The bridge was a little tricky because it was over a black window. A piece of wood veneer leftover was inserted over the window and I took out my paints to blend into the frame.

We decided to go with a polished aluminum roof and Nowell had a learning curve with polishing aluminum that covered not only parts of the shop, but also made it's way into the house, we were looking at polishing compound for a few weeks!
Cabinets were installed in the kitchen area and inside for cubby holes. 12 volt outlets and LED’s inside were used to cut down on energy demands. We even have a homemade solar cell blanket if our battery is running low.
So now it’s finally finished and we even found some guitar bedding (Queen size) to add to the theme. We’ll be on the road for a few trips in 2015. Do be sure to give us a “honk” if you see us go by!

GDropWMRW5 copy